Burn permits may be obtained by calling the Astoria Fire Department at (503) 325-2345, or stopping by the fire station at 555 30th Street during the weekdays from 9:00am - 4:00pm.
Burn Barrel Permit Fee
The fee for the first two years for a burn barrel permit is $50, which requires the fire department to come out and inspect the burn barrel to make sure it's in the correct location and you have all the requirements for a burn barrel. Renewal fee is $35, for two years.
Burning Barrel Guidelines
- Permits are required for burning in a burn barrel.
- NO open burn piles are allowed.
- Burning is allowed from dawn to dusk. No burning will be permitted after dark.
- During fire season, or summer time, you will only be allowed to burn from dawn to 10:00am. Burning regulations will be updated on our burn information line by calling the Astoria Fire Department (503) 325-2345 and selecting option 6.
- Burn barrels must have a quarter-inch mess screen cover. Burn Barrel Design
- Barrel should be located no less than fifteen feet from any structure or other combustible material.
- Must have a water source available, such as a garden hose. If a garden hose is not available, a fire extinguisher must be present when burning.
- Burning material in the barrel shall be constantly attended.
- Some of the items you may burn include:
- Yard debris
- Natural vegetation
- Untreated wood
- Paper products
- You may NOT burn the following:
- Rubber products
- Wet garbage
- Petroleum and petroleum-treated materials
- Asphalt or industrial waste
- Any material that creates dense smoke or noxious odors
- Any complaints of a smoke problem may result in the Fire Chief or his designee ordering extinguishment of the fire.
- For burning outside of the city limits, contact the Oregon Department of Forestry at (503) 325-5451.