To provide an affordable meeting room for the residents of the greater Astoria area.
1. Facilities and services should be available to all people without discrimination.
2. In accordance with City Ordinances and subject availability of facilities, fees for use of facilities and specialized programs and activities may be charged.
An application must be obtained from the Library Staff of the City of Astoria Library, before any person shall occupy the Flag Room on a reserved or exclusive-use basis. A facility is any portion of City owned or maintained property indoors or outdoors.
A person (including groups, associations, firms, or corporations) seeking issuance of an application hereunder shall, within ten working days’ notice of the proposed use, file an application with the Head Librarian. The application shall state:
1. The name and address of the applicant
2. The name and address of the person(s), corporation, or association sponsoring the activity, together with a list of responsible officers and directors to whom notices and claims for damages may be directed.
3. The day and hours (beginning time and ending time) for which the permit is desired.
4. An estimate of the anticipated attendance.
5. Any other information which the City finds reasonable or necessary for the protection of public facilities.
C. Standards for Issuance
The Head Librarian may issue a permit hereunder when he/she finds:
1. That the proposed activity or use of a facility will not unreasonably interfere with general public enjoyment of the facility.
2. That the proposed activity or use will not unreasonably interfere with public health, welfare or safety.
3. That the proposed activity or use is not unlawful.
4. That the proposed activity will not entail unusual, extraordinary, or burdensome expense to the City or involve excessive police operations.
5. That the facilities desired have not been previously reserved.
6. That required fees have been paid.
7. If applicable, that evidence of insurance acceptable to City has been provided.
D. Effect of Application
A permittee shall be bound by all City rules and regulations and all applicable ordinances as fully as though the same were inserted in the application.
E. Liability of Permittee and Release of City
The applicant shall release City from any liability for the applicant’s actions or inactions, including those of applicant’s invitees, and shall be liable for any loss, damage, or injury sustained by the City, or any person whatsoever by reason of the wrongful acts or negligence of the applicant.
The Head Librarian or his/her designee shall have the authority to summarily revoke an application upon finding a violation of any provision, thereof, or upon finding a violation of any City Ordinances, Rules and Regulations.
An appeal regarding the Head Librarian’s interpretation of the rules and regulations may be made to the City Manager whose decision can be further appealed to the City Council, whose decision will be final.
H. Activities for Minors
Activities for minors (persons under 18 years of age) must be supervised by responsible adults at the ratio of one adult for every ten minors. The City may require the sponsoring group to also provide security personnel to be in attendance.
I. Clean-up Deposit
A clean-up deposit fee of $15.00 will be required prior to use of the facility.
Priority for reservation of the Flag Room shall be as follows:
1. Library programs or events sponsored by the City of Astoria
2. Non-profit groups and organizations.
3. Private groups
4. Business/Commercial entities or uses
K. Policy Interpretation
It is the policy of the City of Astoria to allow the Head Librarian the latitude to interpret and adjust the general rules to meet specific needs of applicants and the City. Appeals may be made to the City Manager whose decision can be further appealed to the City Council whose decision will be final.
L. Rules and Regulations for All Groups
1. It is understood that all groups or organizations in charge of using the facilities shall be responsible for cleaning all equipment and facilities to a condition level which is at least equal to that in which it was found, unless otherwise provided for at the time of application. All tables should be against the wall; all chairs stacked neatly.
2. All applicants must arrange to meet with Library staff at least seven days before facility use to personally review needs, set up fees, clean-up, etc.
3. No privilege of using the facilities or grounds shall be granted for a period exceeding six months.
4. Any cancellation of scheduled facilities must be made five days prior to the scheduled event and in writing to the Head Librarian, Astor Public Library, 450 10th Street, Astoria, OR 97103. Cancellations made less than five days prior to an event shall be refunded only half of any deposit.
5. Dependent upon the nature of the proposed activity or facility use, the City may, at its discretion, require the applicant to obtain and pay for a comprehensive general liability insurance policy covering bodily injury and property damage in an amount not less than $1,000,000 combined single limit. This liability insurance policy must also cover as additional insureds the City of Astoria, its officials, officers and employees. The City, depending on the nature of activity may also require that this insurance cover the applicant’s participants as well as spectators or others attending the activity. These insurance provisions will be required based on City review of the proposed activity and be made on a case-by-case basis.
6. Under no circumstances will City permit equipment to be removed from the facility, except with expressed written approval of the Head Librarian.
7. No alcoholic beverages are allowed on the Library premises.
SPECIFIC REGULATIONS RELATED TO USE OF ASTOR PUBLIC LIBRARY FLAG ROOM
1. Loud or boisterous parties/events or illegal activities prohibited.
2. Decorations: Persons using these facilities may decorate for functions within the following limits:
a. The process of decorating or decorations are not to be disturbing or limit the use of the facility;
b. All materials attached to walls, ceiling, etc., must be secured with MASKING TAPE. No pins, tacks, staples or other forms of tape are allowed;
c. All exits must be clear of obstruction and interior lights left on during use of the building;
d. All decorations must be removed after the event.
3. A permit WILL NOT be issued to anyone under the age of 21.
a. Will be completed prior to vacating the facility;
b. All waste material is to be put into waste containers and all facilities and grounds are to be left in clean condition;
c. Users who leave facilities in an unclean or disorderly condition will be billed by the City for expense incurred to remedy the situation.
5. All extended users of facilities will be periodically reviewed by the Head Librarian to insure fair allocation of these facilities. No groups can be assured of a reservation on an indefinite basis.
6. Authorized Capacity: Astoria Public Library Flag Room - 61 With Table and Chairs, 98 Standing or Chairs Only.
7. Activity Restrictions: Prior approval must be acquired before use of the kitchen facilities or piano is granted.
8. Failure to comply with rules and regulations is cause for restricting violators from future use of the Library Flag Room.
9. Cleanup deposit may take up to three (3) weeks to be forwarded to Applicant.
Flag Room Fee Summary by Classification
A cleanup fee of $15.00 will be required by the City prior to use of the Flag Room. If rental group adequately cleans up the Flag Room after their usage, the cleanup fee will be refunded.